Thursday, November 8, 2012

Over it

I'm kinda feeling a bit over it all today.
The seniors have gone, and I wanna be gone too.

My one class that always causes me no end of grief was thankfully better today. There were a few away, which always makes a huge difference, they did the work and one boy even said he'd learnt something new. Yay!
But the class I always looked forward to, now they're the ones starting to spin out of control. They just won't shut up!! I put them in a seating plan, but several of them are determined that it won't succeed so they're making a point of talking and distracting those around them so that it won't work. I used to plan work for this class and it was never enough, they'd churn through it so fast. But today, I had song lyrics to go through looking for poetic language features, I figured we'd finish early and had something else prepared. But no. They just won't stop talking, completely ignoring me. At one point I just stood in front of them for 5 full minutes singing quietly to myself to keep me sane. It wasn't till I made the comment that they'd be making the time up at lunch time that they wanted to get the work done. But even then, it was a pretty poor effort.

At this point in time, I want it to be over. I want to be on holiday. Even a few days off where I work from home. I just don't want to be here, being disrespected all day.
Why do I even want to be a teacher? What kind of life is this? Where the systems we had in place at the start of the year no longer serve their purpose, the students are testing boundaries again and in a more annoying way... it's just all hard work.

Life's not meant to be easy, I know that, and the start of your career is always the hardest. But honestly, I have 4 weeks to go this year, and I've not once cried or been really upset about anything in my job. But today, I almost feel like crying. I'm done.

It's going to be a long 4 weeks.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Hang in there Hannah! I was really pleased when I heard you'd become a teacher, I think kids need teachers like you.

Hannah said...

Thanks, Adam. It's just really tiring some times. I still enjoy teaching, it's great. I just need to learn so much more though to be more effective and not let them take advantage of me!! :)