Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lunch

Today a real gentleman took me out to lunch.

I say 'real' because he was so chivalrous, what you'd like to think a gentleman is like. He opened every door for me -including the car door for me to get in; made sure I walked on the right side of the footpath, he even ate off the back of his fork - like my mum tried to teach us to do when we were young!
He paid for my meal; he drove me round, not minding to take any expenses on himself. He basically made himself available to be my chauffeur, tour guide, whatever, for a few hours. It was so lovely!! It was not asked of him to do all this, he just offered.

This gentleman is the 83 year old father of one of my colleagues.

It was so nice to be treated like that, even if it was by someone older than my own grandfather. It's also kind of sad to think that a lot of the young men I know don't know how to be chivalrous. They may try, but they have nothing on this man!!  It was a very pleasant day.

...(in all honesty though, NZ's not so big on chivalry, and us girls aren't used to it and don't really expect it, so I imagine we'd maybe get frustrated at being waited on if it was all the time!)  :) We're such contrary beings :)

No comments: